Sunday, November 9, 2014

Gratitude with Attitude...That's the Corgi Way!


The beauty of autumn in the River Valley


Hi, all, Lily the Corgi here.  I am loving this beautiful autumn.  I am staying outside in the yard for many hours each day: sniffing, patrolling, digging, and just soaking up the sun.  Here in the Arkansas River Valley, autumn is THE season for spending time outdoors.  The fall season has a couple of  real highlights--Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Halloween is past us now, so it is time to focus on Thanksgiving.  This lovely holiday is all about being grateful for the blessings in your life, and I have MUCH for which to be grateful.  Let me tell you about some of the things that enrich my life.


First of all, I'm thankful for my home.  As I've told you before, I've lived in several different homes in my lifetime and I'm glad that now I've settled down.  Don't get me wrong, I still like to travel and see new things, but I love having a place of my own to come back to.  I have a big back yard, filled with trees and squirrels; my mama and daddy let me play outside all I want, but I'm never required to stay outside.  If I want to stay indoors and be a little couch potato, then thats okay.  I know there are doggies out there in the world who don't get to come in the house; they have to live outside where it is wet and cold or scorching hot, and they don't have constant access to their humans.  Knowing this makes me realize what a lucky girl I really am!

(Yep, I do love to travel, especially with my head out the window.)


I love that I have a soft, warm bed to sleep in...and smooth, cool tiles to sleep on.  I can sleep in my parents' bed, I can choose to lay with my belly pressed to the floor, or I can decide to sleep on the couch.  Some nights I choose to sleep in several places (just have to be sure I sleep lightly enough that I don't get stepped on by a wandering human or fur sibling in the dark!)  Some good dogs have no beds at all; they have to sleep in the dirt or in the snow and rain, in places that are neither comfortable nor safe.  I am grateful for the ability to rest my head in peaceful slumber when I so desire.

(This is what our bed looks like at night.  See, there's a little spot reserved for mama 
there on the left--by Sadie's butt.)


I am blessed with lots and lots of good food...too much good food, I must admit.  Mama and daddy feed us twice a day, but I'm so darned cute, I am able to beg a few snacks out of them throughout the day.  That's why mama calls me "Chubster."  Mama and daddy are careful to make sure that we eat things that are safe (if not always healthy) and that we don't get into food items that are spoiled or dangerous.  There are dogs in this world who literally starve to death every day, yet I have far more food than I can possibly eat.  I'm so glad that I'm well-fed; I just wish I could share my fortune with all the hungry dogs out there.

(The bowl is empty right now, but it won't stay that way for long!)


I am immensely blessed by wonderful friends, both human and canine...I actually even sort of enjoy the company of those pesky squirrels out in the yard.  My city has a marvelous dog park where I can go to romp and play and meet new friends.  At the dog park, almost all the dogs recognize my inborn superiority and no one has ever challenged my authority.  These dogs always bring their humans along with them and most of the humans realize they have a great opportunity to pet and admire the greatness that is the corgi--Me!  Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet, that's my motto.

(A nice lady and her dog; met them at the dog park.)

The friends and family who already know us come to our house to visit.  Mama likes to cook big dinners and then people come to eat and talk and play games.  I absolutely love these gatherings; there is always someone at hand to rub and stroke me, or to play a few games my way.  Every once in a while, my neurotic sister Sadie will get too freaked out by the crowds in her home and all us dogs will get sent to our room.  Since I never cause this kind of trouble, I'm usually the first one back out to rejoin the festivities!

I have heard there are dogs who spend their lives attached to the end of a chain with no companionship at all.  Other dogs live in animal shelters where there are a zillion dogs all barking at once and just a few keepers to feed and water them; there is almost never enough time or energy to visit or play with these poor dogs.  Being such a social little beast, I certainly know that i am blessed to have my family, friends, and admirers out there!

(Life is good; thank you, God, for giving me this great gift.)

I'd love it if all of you could take some time this Thanksgiving season to stop and count your blessings.  Few of us are so bad off that we can't find something for which to be thankful.  It would be even better if you'd take the time to channel that gratitude into action:  volunteer to walk a few dogs at your local animal shelter, say "thank you" to the next police K9 you see out there risking life and limb, or take some supplies to a local rescue.  Let's move this holiday from just a thanks-giving to a thanks-doing!
________________________________________________________


A few weeks back, all my family members (the human ones) went on a cruise.  While they were on that cruise, my mama WON another cruise!  Daddy has to stay home to work and take care of us, so mama and my Aunt Vicky are leaving in a couple of days to take that free cruise.  So, I won't have mama around to do my typing for me (short corgi arms, remember?) for a couple of weeks.  While I'm off the computer, y'all have fun, eat lots, enjoy life, and I'll be back when mama comes home!!

Til next time,
Love ya,

Lily the Corgi


This is the Life!


No comments:

Post a Comment