Sunday, July 5, 2015

Dog Bless America

I really am a richly blessed corgi.


Hi all, Lily the corgi here, hoping your Independence Day celebrations were awesome!  I know some of my fellow doggers get all freaked out with all the fireworks going off, so I hope everyone made it through all that with as little stress as possible.

Around here lately, stress has been my middle name.  Lily Roisin Stress Salamon. I must first apologize that all the wildness going on completely caused me to miss writing my blog last week.  I told you last time that I'd had a little seizure event; turns out that was not a single isolated seizure.  Last week I had a couple more of these episodes and my mama was SUPER upset.  You see, mama and daddy's first corgi girl, Audrey the Fluffy, had a single seizure that no one could control and after several days of solid seizing, she died.  So the other day when I started having the second seizure, mama got really worried; then I turned around and had another the very next day and my mama became ninja mama.  Long story short, she switched us to a new vet and now I am taking the same kind of pills that Lucy takes...even though mama says my seizures are much more dramatic and impressive than Lucy's (of course.)

Still on the subject of doggies, last week, the dog rescue texted mama and asked her to take pictures of our foster dog so they could get him transported to a rescue in Colorado.  Oh man, I knew we were in trouble when I saw mama type her reply.  "No."

Welcome to the family Darby Guinness Salamon

Yep, my worst fears have come true.  I always knew mama would end up adopting one of these little sad sack fosters and this is the one.  So, the rescue went ahead and got him snipped and heartworm tested--and, of course, he is infected with heartworms.  Officially, mama can't adopt him just yet because the rescue doesn't adopt out doggies with heartworms; they'll work with mama to get him treated and then the adoption will become final.  I guess he isn't too bad, as far as brothers go.  And daddy says this means we won't be getting anymore fosters; because Darby is so scared and nervous, daddy says he won't have other dogs here to upset Darby.  I must say, that all sounds like a big plus to me!

While all these health and family issues were getting ironed out, mama kept letting strangers in our house to tear up things and make things and change things inside and outside our house.  We've had a TON of things to bark at around here!  Mama and daddy started the craziness by ripping all the carpet out of our living room and bedroom...just cut holes in it, ripped it up, rolled it up and threw it outside.  Highly unusual behavior for humans who seemed to baby this carpet stuff by sweeping and washing it all the time.  Well, in a few days two men came to the house and started opening boxes in the hallway and used the boards inside to make a new floor. They call the new floor "hardwood" and I like it, mostly.  I can run and slide on it which is lots of fun.  The only bad part is that when I try to jump on the bed or the furniture, my feet get all slidy and sometimes I don't get enough traction to jump up that high.  I still like them; they are nice and cool on my tummy.

Lucy and Darby snoopervising the carpet tear-out.

The guys who came to put in the new floors were nice guys but I was a little scared of them.  I'd just had one of those seizure things when they came and I wasn't at my best, so the least little things scared me and their loud tools made me very nervous.  They were still patient, though, and they petted me a little when I allowed them to do so.  I liked that they both spoke that pretty language I used to hear when we lived in west Texas.  I always found their language very soothing; mama calls it Spanish and I think it is very pretty.

Tomorrow another man is coming to cut down trees.  Now to me, this just sounds shameful.  Trees are meant to be used as a shade, bathroom facilities, and squirrel holders; I see no reason why trees should be chopped up and removed from their original places.  Mama and daddy say these trees are dead, however, and need to be cut or they will fall in our beds as we sleep.  A man already came the other evening and pulled a lot of unruly plants in our front flower beds.  Our flower beds look so much nicer, but the neighborhood feral cats are upset--some of them had been using the bushes as a hideout.

Finally, this past holiday weekend, my Aunt Christy and her 3 kids came to spend a couple of days and nights with us.  We had tons of petting and holding and holding and petting.  Yesterday, the whole family came over and we all played and visited and romped around and then the humans cooked on the grill thingy on the back porch.  We doggy family members got to eat wieners cooked on the grill and whatever we could scavenge from the babies.  When it was time for the fireworks, mama and daddy put us in our newly floored "dog room" and shut the door so we couldn't hear much of what was going on outside; we felt safe and secure and Darby didn't even get upset enough to poop in his crate--that's progress in my book!

Cousins Kyle and Alicia slept on the couch, and I happily took my place right between them!

As you can tell, it has been lively here...lots of construction and gardening, food and family, health and crazy happening all at once.  It's been loud and confusing and hectic and now it is all settled down and I realize what a lucky, lucky girl I really am.  Not only do I have shelter, but I had a very nice and beautiful home.  Not only do I have a dog pack to run with, I have a family who loves and cherishes me as I am.  I am one contented and thankful girl. I guess that's what it means to have independence...I'm free to come and go and do what I please, but I prefer to stay right where I am and where I'm loved very much.

Take care of each other, everyone, and remember to do all you can to make sure all doggies have the freedom to live their lives in safety and good health and happiness like I do.  Til next time...

Love ya,


Lily the Corgi
My contribution to the flooring project--guarding the food bowls.





No comments:

Post a Comment